A Talk About Improvisation & How You Can Develop Your Creativity.
Learning to improvise is the Holy Grail for a most musicians. For some, however, it’s a never ending source of frustration. If you work hard on your technique, how can you then transform this into improvisations that you feel are from the heart and not just a bunch of pre-learned lick ideas. In this podcast, GMI founder Ged Brockie discusses improvisation and how you can develop it within your musical life.
Podcast Ep 7 – Table Of Contents
- 1.12 Definition of improvisation.
- 2.30 The true reason behind technique.
- 5.00 How to understand the language of music.
- 7.15 The secret behind speaking the language of music.
- 8.20 Becoming fluent in the language of music.
- 10.27 Is improvisation really “making things up on the spot”?
- 13.00 The chords, scales and arpeggios to think about when improvising.
- 14.32 How to become a better improviser and the paradox.
- 15.30 What Joe Pass said about improvisation.
- 19.00 Making improvisation more complex than it needs to be.
- 20.00 An example of un-needed complexity and modes.
- 22.19 My approach to to learning how to improvise.
- 23.38 Contextualization in improvisation?
- 28.13 Summing up and final thoughts.
Check Out All Our Other Podcasts
Check out our podcast page which includes all our podcasts to date with news on up and coming episodes.