LEARN TO PLAY MAJOR SCALES FOR GUITAR FRETTED ACROSS THE FINGERBOARD
In this in depth lesson, you will be given complete neck coverage with seven major scales for guitar fretted in position. Having a thought through systematic approach to learning scales, arpeggios and chords is vital. This lesson sets down a firm foundation by giving you the beginnings of a template’d fret board approach which you can build from over time.
DOWNLOAD THE MAJOR GUITAR SCALES PDF
To get the FREE PDF booklet that accompanies this video lesson, please visit the GMI guitar shop by clicking Major Scales For Guitar Free Download. Link opens in new browser window.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS GUITAR LESSON
This lesson breaks down the rather daunting task of learning guitar scales into three root note foundation points. From these three root notes, you will generate seven major scales. The fingering of these major scales is vital and you must ensure you play them as presented. The basic idea is that you will be able to play a melody in up to seven different positions of the neck. What this means is that you have almost complete freedom across the neck when improvising, site reading or composing.
Once you have learned these seven patterns, the next step will be to take the scales into different keys. Being able to play in any of the twelve sounding major keys is again necessary if you are looking to take your guitar playing to the next level. This is the first stage. Once you can play in any key you will need to be able to play different major scales in position. Another video lesson that we have devoted to major scales is our seven major scales one position.
MOVING FORWARD WITH YOUR MAJOR SCALES
Remember, learning any scale is to enable you to play melodies. Don’t get caught in the trap of thinking the only reason you learn scales is so you can say and play scales. If you are or have been thinking like this, then it’s time for you to change your way of thinking. We have a lot of other resources at GMI which are free. Check out our How To Play Guitar page to find out what we can offer you and your guitar and music learning.
The Book That Accompanies This And Our Other Guitar Scale Lessons
Major scales and hundreds of other patterns are all found in the GMI – Guitar & Music Institute publication Scales You Can Use!
This full colour book can be bought either as a printed copy directly from Amazon, or as a PDF immediate download from the GMI Guitar Store.
Both books are exactly the same apart from the printed book including blank staff and TAB along with blank chord boxes for your own guitar scale ideas. The PDF book is 105 pages in total and the printed version is 152 pages in total.
What Is In This Guitar Scale Book?
- An easy to understand template system that enables you to learn and play major, natural, harmonic and melodic minor scales over the entire neck in seven positions.
- Included tutorials show how you can play pentatonic scales in 10 different keys within one fret board position.
- Learn to play in 14 keys in one position using modal scales giving complete musical control over key changes.
- Included fret maps detail a simple to understand root based system in two key positions giving you complete understanding.
- Theoretical explanations of pentatonic, major, melodic and harmonic minor, blues, chromatic, whole tone and diminished scales.
- A suite of “exotic” scales are included for those that are looking to learn patterns that are on the fringe.
- Original music examples in music and TAB provided throughout Scales You Can Use! to ensure that you really learn the patterns shown. Open string patterns cover major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales.
To purchase the printed version of Scales You Can Use directly from Amazon click the link in the product box below.
PURCHASE SCALES YOU CAN USE! PDF FROM THE GMI SHOP – IMMEDIATE DOWNLOAD
To purchase the lower cost PDF format of Scales You Can Use! from the GMI online store and receive it immediately click Essential Guitar Scales – Scales You Can Use! This link opens in a new window.