THE HARMONIC MINOR SCALE GUITAR PLAYERS LOVE
Yes, it’s true, the harmonic minor scale guitar lovers for years have played regardeles of style is really one you need to learn. It has a really exotic sound which can sometimes be thought of as Arabian. Also, the scale is very much thought of as Spanish in flavour, no doubt influenced by the Moors who ran Spain for hundreds of years. Learning this scale is important as it’s used in all forms of music from classical, to rock to jazz. If you want to get your playing together, you need to know it.
To get the most out of this lesson, you really need to know what came before on GMI. If you have not already watched and worked with the material given in the major scales fretted lesson, then please do this now before you start.
ONCE YOU HAVE LEARNED YOUR IN POSITION MAJOR SCALES THEN START THIS LESSON
DOWNLOAD THE PDF THAT ACCOMPANIES THIS LESSON
To download our free PDF that accompanies this lesson click melodic minor scales for guitar. This link is from the GMI shop and will open in a new browser.
So, assuming that you have learned the major scales, you will find that learning these harmonic minors all over the neck is rather easy. You will use the major scale forms as a template. As explained in the video, all you need to do in each of the major scale patterns is flatten the 3rd and the 6th tones. Simply by doing this you will have the foundation needed to attempt the harmonic minors. The point is, you should now be able to play the harmonic minor scale in seven different ways (patterns) up the neck in one key. This is exactly what happened with the major scales and the melodic minor scales.
Make sure that you download the PDF that is provided above. It shows you both the major and the generated minor scale.
Good luck with this lesson. It’s deceptive as there does not seem to be a lot of information, but there is a lot to learn.
The Book That Accompanies This And Our Other Guitar Scale Lessons
Pentatonic scales and hundreds of other patterns are all found in the GMI – Guitar & Music Institute publication Scales You Can Use!
This full colour book can be bought either as a printed copy directly from Amazon, or as a PDF immediate download from the GMI Guitar Store.
Both books are exactly the same apart from the printed book including blank staff and TAB along with blank chord boxes for your own guitar scale ideas. The PDF book is 105 pages in total and the printed version is 152 pages in total.
What Is In This Guitar Scale Book?
- An easy to understand template system that enables you to learn and play major, natural, harmonic and melodic minor scales over the entire neck in seven positions.
- Included tutorials show how you can play pentatonic scales in 10 different keys within one fret board position.
- Learn to play in 14 keys in one position using modal scales giving complete musical control over key changes.
- Included fret maps detail a simple to understand root based system in two key positions giving you complete understanding.
- Theoretical explanations of pentatonic, major, melodic and harmonic minor, blues, chromatic, whole tone and diminished scales.
- A suite of “exotic” scales are included for those that are looking to learn patterns that are on the fringe.
- Original music examples in music and TAB provided throughout Scales You Can Use! to ensure that you really learn the patterns shown. Open string patterns cover major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales.
To purchase the printed version of Scales You Can Use directly from Amazon click the link in the product box below.
PURCHASE SCALES YOU CAN USE! PDF FROM THE GMI SHOP – IMMEDIATE DOWNLOAD
To purchase the lower cost PDF format of Scales You Can Use! from the GMI online store and receive it immediately click Essential Guitar Scales – Scales You Can Use! This link opens in a new window.