MELODIC MINOR SCALES EXPLAINED
COURSE TUTOR: Ged Brockie
For many, the amount of scales that need to be learned can be daunting and usually when it comes to melodic minor scales it’s a bridge too far. This lesson builds on a template’d system that will help you learn melodic minor scales across the fretboard. If you do not know your major scales, then please click HERE and revisit this video once you have understood and learned that material.
Learn seven positions of melodic minor scales giving complete coverage of the neck. These scales are extensively used in rock, jazz and classical music.
DOWNLOAD THE PDF THAT ACCOMPANIES THIS LESSON
To download our free PDF that accompanies this lesson click melodic minor scales for guitar. This link is from the GMI shop and will open in a new browser.
Melodic minor scales are just as important as any other scale. The fact of the matter is though, many guitarists usually give up learning these as it’s yet another raft of scales to learn. GMI has created a simple and easy to learn system that builds upon what you already know. We refer to this as a template’d system of learning. If you have already viewed and learned the lesson material from fretted major scales and seven major scales one position then you will know what we’re talking about. If you don’t know what this means then we would urge you to go back and learn these lessons first. It really is a case of learning to run before you can walk if you do not view and learn the previous material.
If you have learned the previous material leading up to this lesson then well done. You are now well on your way to gaining mastery over the fret board. Being able to play in a large range of keys in every position of the guitar neck is a big step forward.
MORE GUITAR SCALES SHOWN IN OUR OTHER LESSONS
The Book That Accompanies This And Our Other Guitar Scale Lessons
Melodic minor scales and hundreds of other patterns are all found in the GMI – Guitar & Music Institute publication Scales You Can Use!
This full colour book can be bought either as a printed copy directly from Amazon, or as a PDF immediate download from the GMI Guitar Store.
Both books are exactly the same apart from the printed book including blank staff and TAB along with blank chord boxes for your own guitar scale ideas. The PDF book is 105 pages in total and the printed version is 152 pages in total.
What Is In This Guitar Scale Book?
- An easy to understand template system that enables you to learn and play major, natural, harmonic and melodic minor scales over the entire neck in seven positions.
- Included tutorials show how you can play pentatonic scales in 10 different keys within one fret board position.
- Learn to play in 14 keys in one position using modal scales giving complete musical control over key changes.
- Included fret maps detail a simple to understand root based system in two key positions giving you complete understanding.
- Theoretical explanations of pentatonic, major, melodic and harmonic minor, blues, chromatic, whole tone and diminished scales.
- A suite of “exotic” scales are included for those that are looking to learn patterns that are on the fringe.
- Original music examples in music and TAB provided throughout Scales You Can Use! to ensure that you really learn the patterns shown. Open string patterns cover major, minor, pentatonic and blues scales.
To purchase the printed version of Scales You Can Use directly from Amazon click the link in the product box below.
PURCHASE SCALES YOU CAN USE! PDF FROM THE GMI SHOP – IMMEDIATE DOWNLOAD
To purchase the lower cost PDF format of Scales You Can Use! from the GMI online store and receive it immediately click Essential Guitar Scales – Scales You Can Use! This link opens in a new window.